5 Things Every Underclassmen Should Know

Riley Malone, Guest Writer

Don’t Get Into Bad Habits

Habits can be either a good or a bad thing for some people. However, don’t let some habits, bad ones, affect your life, especially in school. I had a terrible habit of not doing work at home, I always thought I did my best work at school. Then when I got home I always just chilled and distracted myself with anything. This made me have many late assignments turned in, coming into a test without studying the material, and turning my straight A’s into B’s. The advice I can give you is to make sure the things you do every day help you improve. Those habits can make or break a person, and I am a prime example of that.

Be Teachable

To be teachable is as simple as it sounds, be easy to be taught and want to be taught. I know that it is hard to stay focused in boring classes, or being in a class with a teacher you don’t like. I know it is hard to believe, but sometimes those teachers don’t want to be there either with people like you complaining. This is not an easy job, but to make it easier on them and you, come to school with the mentality to learn. That is why you come to school in the first place, to process information to hopefully better your life in the future. I promise if you come to class ready to learn you will improve immensely. My sophomore year I decided to be in AP World History, and it was a huge leap from what I was used to. I was struggling a lot in the class and it was beginning to become one of my least favorite. However, as much as I was struggling, I still wanted to improve and be taught. I ended up coming early some mornings and asked for extra help from my teacher. I then started to improve and ended up having a better time in that class. I’m not saying to come early every morning like I did, but come to class to learn. You will then see yourself starting to succeed and have a lot better time in those classes. 

Be Yourself

Many of you have probably heard this your entire life, to be yourself regardless of how other people see you. That is not the case, it is easy to try and be a different person when you are at school. To fit into the little friend group that you have, and be liked by people that are deemed “popular.” Just know that people appreciate you better for being yourself because those people that are “popular” or people you think are cool are not always going to be that way. Just know that the world isn’t a popularity contest, live life the way you want to live it. Be yourself every day, and I am sure the world will appreciate it.  

If You Have a Dream, Plan It

Everybody has been asked the same question “What do you want to be when you grow up?” It’s a common question with endless answers, some serious, others funny. However, how many of those dreams become true, not many. I can’t tell you how many jobs I have thought about, like a baseball player, a chef, even a mascot for some time. Just a kid with endless answers to this question in many different stages of my life. I am sure you have gone through this same thing, and it is an easy thing to change cause you still have time to grow and learn what you want to do. Some of you, however, have those dreams locked into your heart. You have a real passion for what you want to do and will do anything to achieve it. All I can tell you is to do anything you can to get to that position. Don’t worry about aiming high for your dreams cause anything is possible if you have it in your heart. As of right now, I am about to go to college and study media production and film to one day make movies. I didn’t realize I wanted to do that until this year. I put myself in classes and opportunities for one thing I thought I wanted to do, and it ended up showing me my passion. It’s perfectly okay to not know what you want to do, just listen to your heart wherever you go and you will find your dream. 

Have Fun

These four years are going to be the best years of your life. They are the last years you have with no worries, nothing holding you back but yourself. You will discover many new things about yourself, and what you want to do with your life. So you better get ready, cause after high school, you are going to be living life on the steering wheel. I’m not saying all this stuff to scare you, but it is the truth. After high school, life is going to hit you like a freight train. So now with your life still in front of you, have fun. You are going to look back to these moments, and realize that they were the best you have ever had. Gather the people that make you happy and spend every moment with them. High school will go by in an instant, so take your time and enjoy this time that you have.