JHS-LRAFB Mentoring Program Kick Off

JHS Junior Malaki Czepiel prepares to meet his mentor at a January 22nd meeting in the JHS cafeteria.

Jade Brady, Staff Writer

Jacksonville High School kicked off the second year of its mentoring partnership for middle and high school scholars with Little Rock Air Force Base (LRAFB) on Wednesday, January 22, 2020.

At the kick off breakfast meeting, 32 middle and high school scholars, who lack an adult figure in their lives or are otherwise considered at risk, met the mentors they had been matched with.

“It’s a good program. I feel like I have someone I can talk to about my problems other then my mom & dad,” explained Junior Jordan Murphy, who was matched with an airman he already knew from playing basketball. “He gives good advice because he’s already been to high school,” Murphy said.

Some scholars, like Junior Malaki Czepiel, joined the program to learn more about how a career in the Air Force works.

“I just love talking to people about the job, so I can learn more about it,” Czepiel said.

The mentoring program is still accepting additional scholars, according to JHS School Improvement Specialist Mindy Parker. Scholars interested in joining the program can contact Parker at [email protected]